David brings to Oliver over 15 years of experience working in the field of educational access for high-achieving students. He previously served as Director of Education at NJ SEEDS, where he oversaw programs serving 750 students. He is the author of four books and dozens of articles and has taught at Princeton University and has served as a Visiting Scholar at Columbia University. David holds a B.A. from Brown University and a Ph.D. from Harvard University. His daughter Jordan is a graduate of Packer Collegiate. He has spoken at many national conferences, including the annual meeting of The College Board Forum, The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS), The National Partnership for Educational Access (NPEA), and the National Association of College Admissions Counselors (NACAC). He serves on the board of the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) and is currently a visiting scholar at The New School. Oliver Scholars prepares high-achieving African-American and Latino students from underserved NYC communities for success at top independent schools and prestigious colleges.
David Allyn Show Highlights:
- A career in opportunity
- How an independent school experience in DC shaped his view of diversity and access
- How a sexual revolution led to a career in educational access
- How Ted Sizer influenced David’s view of leadership and a “generosity of spirit”
- With a new, fresh, and excited outlook and changing things hurt his leadership experience
- What are your key priorities?
- The power of a listening tour
- Non-profit fundraising is all in the details
- How college admissions impacts the structure of school
- Why School? Why am I doing what I am doing?
- Students should grapple with what their education means to them
David Allyn Resources
Join my hybrid group coaching
& leadership development community
Text BETTERMASTERMIND to 33444
Create winning cultures
Focus on the essential
Lead with courage & integrity
BECOME A PATRON OF THE SHOW FOR AS LITTLE AS $1/MONTH
DID YOU LIKE THE SHOW? iTunes SUBSCRIBE HERE!
SHOW SOME LOVE: PLEASE LEAVE A 5-STAR RATING AND REVIEW
Grab your FREE 15 Phrases of Effective School Leaders
Text PHRASES to 33444 or click the link above.
Website :: Facebook :: Insta :: Twitter :: LinkedIn
SCHOOL SPIRIT VENDING
- Hassle-free, year-round fundraising for your school. With School Spirit Vending, we do all the work, you just cash the check
- Increase school spirit with custom stickers for your school and raise funds at the same time -no upfront costs, no volunteers, no selling
- Sick of the same old ways of raising money for your school? Let School Spirit Vending's hassle-free, year-round fundraising program supplement the other fundraisers you're already doing.